December 19, 2013. San Francisco. Huge is proud to have collaborated with Restoration Hardware on its new Contemporary Art division to develop the platform’s immersive and dynamic online gallery experience. RHContemporaryArt.com connects international artists’ work with a global audience, providing users with a unique way to view, learn about and acquire artwork.
RHContemporaryArt.com is designed to emulate a gallery experience. Optimized for both desktop and tablet formats, the site features high-resolution imagery, navigation capabilities to search by medium or artist, and extensive original content, including a series of artist documentaries produced by RH Contemporary Art. Art collectors who visit the brick and mortar gallery can enhance their overall gallery experience by accessing supplementary materials including background stories and documentaries about artists on the tablet version of the site.
Additionally, dedicated art specialists are available to assist viewers with building their private collections, as well as with acquiring, delivering, framing and installing artworks. RHContemporaryArt.com features a curated selection of works from international emerging and midcareer artists. Informed by the expertise of its global curatorial team – a select group of 15 diverse art world leaders – RH Contemporary Art further vets recommended artists through a selection process that includes research, review and studio visits.
The complete multichannel RH Contemporary Art platform also encompasses an art journal, which will be written by a roster of acclaimed curators, critics and artists, and a series of physical commercial art galleries, the first of which is located in New York City’s Chelsea art district.
"Working with RH to develop and design their new online contemporary art platform was a unique and exciting opportunity to do what Huge does best –transform and build digital businesses. To be a part of innovating the digital landscape for purchasing and collecting art, which enables anyone to be a collector, is something we are incredibly proud to support," said Alison Grippo, managing director of Huge in San Francisco.
Key Features of RH Contemporary Art’s Online Gallery Include:
- Emphasis on the gallery experience: Users can evaluate artwork on RHContemporaryArt.com at scale, similar to physical gallery. Additionally, dedicated art specialists are available to assist viewers with building their private collections.
- Advanced user interface meets powerful e-commerce platform: At the heart of the RH Contemporary Art site are two highly customized systems that create a unique and robust e-commerce experience. Huge utilized two technology frameworks to build a user experience that is similar to a native iPad application, while also building out the purchase and catalog services. The combination of the two systems creates an overall experience unlike any other e-commerce site, while simultaneously providing superior features, functionality and security.
- Responsive design: The RH Contemporary Art site is responsive and adjusts to each browser for a fluid experience across devices.
- Navigation: Users can easily search by artist or medium to find artworks.
- High-resolution imagery: Works available for purchase are presented online as beautiful high-resolution images.
- Artist profiles and documentaries: Along with each piece of art, the site provides access to detailed information on the artists and their practice, including original artist documentaries produced by RH Contemporary Art.
- Art journal: Available online and in limited printed editions, RH Contemporary Art’s art journal is written by a roster of acclaimed curators, critics and artists. Designed to inspire a greater appreciation for the artists and their practice, the journal is richly illustrated with examples of their artwork as well as in-studio photography capturing the artists, their environments and working methods.
About RH Contemporary Art: RH Contemporary Art, a division of RH (Restoration Hardware Holdings, Inc. NYSE:RH), is a dynamic and immersive multichannel platform dedicated to bringing international artists and their work to a global audience. The program encompasses a distinctive online gallery featuring a series of artist documentaries, an art journal written by a roster of acclaimed curators, critics, and artists and a gallery in New York City exhibiting works for sale. RH Contemporary Art offers a new way to view, learn about and acquire artwork. www.rhcontemporaryart.com
About Huge: Huge is a digital agency that provides business strategy, design, marketing and technology services to some of the world's largest businesses and best-known brands. The company is known for successfully harmonizing user needs and business goals to create industry-changing digital experiences for its clients. Huge has offices based in the United States, Europe and Latin America, and is part of the Interpublic Group of Companies.